When you think about how PR is portrayed in movies and TV, it does put things into perspective because that is not exactly how it is in real life. Sometimes they show a PR executive juggling multiple crises with multiple phones and this person shown as though they are trying to hold everything together. They would also be trying their best to do it all themselves for all of their clients. Those kinds of moments are actually not that common in this industry because there will be a lot of personnel that is hired for the proper division of tasks. There are also countless other aspects of the job which you do not see on the screen that often, which is one of the main reasons why public relations is misunderstood. Here are some things that you should know about PR.
- It is actually all about the relationships that is built with the people. The word “relations” is actually right there in PR. It is indeed really obvious that the relationships that you build with people will end up playing big roles in the whole process. The first relationship that should be properly established from the side of PR would undoubtedly be the relationship with the clients. This relationship should always have transparency, communication, expectations that the work will be done and many other reasonable things that are expected from a professional relationship.
- You should realize that success takes time. While some of the campaigns are actually blessed with good luck and also a lot of success, it is certainly more common for them to successfully publicize their campaigns and also all of the months of development for the building of the relationship should ensure results.
- Throughout all of this, we should understand why the companies might get quite impatient or even antsy, but the PR campaign would certainly take a whole lot of work and even development.
- It should also be understood to you that rejection is part of the job. It should be taken professionally and not personally. They would not be rejecting you as a person but your organization in some cases. That would be because your company probably didn’t meet the requirements that they are looking for. You should know that there would be hundreds of other people and companies that would love to work with you. When you reject someone, you should absolutely do it in the most professional way possible.
- Most journalists actually like PR people, and they will certainly do their job with the help of PR.
- Publicists are indeed savvy as well as really smart because they always know what they are doing.